Last Revised 06/29/21 by SW
Videos are gaining ground in online education as a result of their versatility in promoting learning, satisfaction, engagement, and interest (LSEI; Costley & Lange, 2017). With this fast-growing dependence on videos, online educators need to become mindful of what constitutes quality videos and how they are best integrated into online content delivery and interaction. In this article, we will approach the topic as follows:
- The discussion begins with the rationale behind video use.
- We will move on to a detailed examination of the different types of video formats, in order to help you determine the kinds of videos you may adopt for your course.
- We will then focus on the best practices in video use to further prepare you for quality videos.
- Our discussion continues with some final tips on recording, production, and sharing.
- Then we will look into the common challenges an instructor might encounter when recording, producing, and using videos.
- We will land on a self-evaluation tool that can help you evaluate the effectiveness of your videos.
At the end of this article, we also included a list of special topics to help you further explore themes that have been gaining traction around the topic of educational videos.